For Indians over 50; the best Diabetic Diet Plan to follow
There had been tough times in my life as a caretaker for my family members when I had to make extra efforts to keep their sugar levels under control. After researching on the internet and consulting medical experts, I prepared a simple diabetic diet plan that was based on everyday Indian foods that were easily available anywhere and everywhere.
The diet plan that I prepared and is listed here is a generalized one. Please discuss with your doctor before following it, especially if you have any health problems other than diabetes.
Kickstart the morning
While following a safe diabetic diet plan based on Indian food, you must begin your day with a glass of lukewarm water. This aids in flushing off most of the toxins built up in the body. A good way to help stabilize your blood sugar levels is to have a teaspoon of methi also known as fenugreek seeds soaked overnight.
Breaking overnight fast
Breakfast is an important meal for diabetics. A good way to break the overnight fast for Indians above 50 may include these options…..
- A cup of sugarless tea/coffee/buttermilk/chaas
- A bowl of porridge/dalia/oats with vegetables and curd
- Two small stuffed Rotis with green vegetable
- Moong dal/besan Chila with paneer stuffing
- Vegetable vermicelli/oats/Upma
- One boiled egg with a bowl of milk and oats
For the snoozy mid-morning
Diabetics need to eat a little every few hours. This is to avoid a very long gap between two meals. Thus after a gap of two hours, a mini-meal has an important role to play. This mini-meal need not be very complicated as it can comprise of any one of these options…
- A handful of roasted chana with a cup of green tea
- Any whole fruit like a pear, apple, orange, guava
- A bowl of mixed seasonal melons or berries can also be a part of this meal
Lunch needs to be wholesome
A nice wholesome lunch consisting of an Indian diet always keeps feeling full well until the next mid-meal. Eating healthy is a very important part of wellness for diabetics over 50. One must ensure an ample amount of proteins in the diet.
- A bowl of any seasonal vegetables like pumpkin, bottle gourd, bitter gourd, ladyfinger with dals like black gram aka Kala Chana/ Mung sprouts/Chicken or fish, with 2 whole-grain Rotis and a plate of salad
- Summertime lunch can be a big bowl of vegetable oats khichdi with curd
- When not really hungry, make a salad using cucumber, onion, tomato and have with one or two thin whole-grain khakhras.
- A bowl of brown rice with mixed vegetables and whole dal.
This second mid-meal is of utmost importance in an Indian diabetic diet plan. This needs to be a very healthy one. This evening snack must be scheduled around your tea time. It can be…
- A handful of roasted chana with some Murmura or puffed grains like Bajra.
- Have a bowl of Bhel made with puffed grains like Bajra with cucumber, tomato, onion, and coriander Chutney added.
- Plain or masala Khakhra
- If you don’t take tea or coffee, then must have plain buttermilk.
- One open whole grain bread sandwich with cucumber, tomato, and green Chutney. No butter, cheese, or mayonnaise, please.
Call it a day with a healthy yet light dinner
Dinner time for Indians above 50 following a diabetic diet plan should be the healthiest and an early one. Dinner can include everything if planned right. Dinner options can be…
- Two whole-grain chapatis with a bowl of greens like mustard/Bathua/Spinach/Methi/soya greens/Cholia or green chana/soya chunks/fish or chicken and salad.
- A quick dinner can be a bowl of vegetable oats with homemade soup.
- A healthy and light dinner option can be a plate of fresh green salad with multigrain roti and 1 bowl of dal sprouts.
- It is important to avoid all starchy foods like potatoes, polished white rice, etc. You can select any of the vegetables available but avoid yam and colocasia.
Before hitting the bed
To shorten the long gap until the next breakfast, have a cup of yellow or golden milk made by adding organic turmeric to milk. If needed, one can have a few almonds and walnuts with it. Keeping it in controlled quantity is important.
If you want to lose weight and get a customized diet plan, you may join IWB Weight Loss Program.